If you haven’t moved house yet, you have probably heard about how stressful it is. To give you an idea, over 61% of people found moving house to be a more stressful experience than getting divorced or starting a new job.
Of course, feeling overwhelmed by a house move is understandable. If you’re moving far away, you will have to get used to a new area, new people and a new routine. If you have children, you will be worried about them adjusting too.
Uprooting your life and experiencing such a huge change would unsettle anyone. Finding a new home and selling your current one is just the beginning; you then need to find a reliable removal company, deal with all the paperwork and then wait for the sale to actually go through.
Keeping all of this in mind, there are ways to alleviate this stress:
- Preparing for your house move in advance – give yourself enough time so you can plan your move and not be overwhelmed by everything.
- Following a moving house checklist will make organising yourself easier. Going through each task you need to complete step-by-step will keep you on top of things as you sort through each room individually.
- Before you started packing, you need to declutter; rather than pack items you don’t want or need, why not donate them to charity or sell them? Try to be as vigilant as possible, as it will lighten your packing load.
- Book a removal company as soon as you know your moving date. Many companies are booked up to months in advance, so it’s worth doing. Removal companies can do the hard work for you by packing and moving all of your items to your new house.
- Enlist the help of your friends and family. No one likes packing alone, so ask your friends and family for help – order some food, put some music on and make a day of it!
- Keep your children and pets occupied. Have them stay with a friend or relative for a few days while you move. It will help you focus and get the job done quicker.
- Remember to sleep. Moving day is tiring, so you need all the energy possible, so try and get a good night’s sleep.
- Have a family meal. Ordering takeaway seems like the easy option, but preparing a quick, easy family meal is a nice way to relax and settle into your new home.
The following infographic will give you a step-by-step guide to make your house move as stress-free and efficient as possible.